Thursday, March 5, 2009

About This Blog

On February 20, I recieved a call that my son's Early Intervention Services were going to be discontinued as of March 1 due to budget cuts. I must admit I am very angry and frustrated about the way this has been handled, they originally told us this on a Friday, and I don't think it was an accident. Nobody had anything in writing, rumors are going like crazy, it was completely disrespectful, unprofessional, and inappriopriate. As parents of special needs children, we are under a large amount of stress and pressure, having a bombshell verbally dropped on us like this with no warning, and a less than a week's transition period caused a large amount of stress for us all, we didn't even hear directly from any state representatives, we had been informed by our contracted providers.

Since then there has been a lot of things going back and forth, yesterday I recieved a letter from the state of Arizona that in fact due to budget cuts my son's services will discontinue as of March 13. I have done a lot of research, I will not take this lying down, my son has rights under the law, he is legally disabled and recieves SSI. This is in violation of IDEA part c, supposedly services cannot be discontinued unless the child does not have a need, or the parents withdraw them, it the procedural safeguards I have recieved state nothing about services being subject to budget cuts, and this begs the question, where is the funding AZ recieved from the federal government for our children?

I have been recieving a ton of info on email that I have been passing back and forth, honestly it is a lot of information to take in and track who has what and where some things that I have sent have wound up, so I created this blog as a place to consolidate all of this information in a more organized format to help parents and providers understand what is going on and quickly find what they are looking for. I hope this helps!

I will provide additional info in subsequent posts.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all of the footwork that you are doing on this issue. As an early interventionist (DSI), it literally makes me sick that they are doing this to families. I'm adding your blog to my DDD/DES list, and I'll be passing the info about the administrative review along to my families and co-workers.

    ReplyDelete