What I have been hearing about, is the border, and in my opinion, I've been hearing way too much lately. Border this, border that, troops going to the border, troops needed at the border, for some reason this is an issue that has taken on huge proportion, and is overshadowing other things, like education, and the needs of those that Governor Brewer and our other legislators insist on neglecting in favor of the border.
Forgive me if this sounds too opinionated but here is my take on it:
We fail to realize that the border is nothing more than a THING, a line in the sand, it is not anything precious, no harm will come to it if there are no troops there, it is not sacred ground that is being violated by unauthorized crossings, but we are treating it as if it were a person or it was sacred ground that we have to throw all sorts of resources at to protect it.
The border is not what is important, it should have little significance, the troops should not be paying attention to the border at all.
I think that the troops and our government should pay more attention TO PEOPLE, NOT A LINE IN THE SAND.
We are paying way too much attention to the border and not enough attention to those who are living behind it. I truly wish that we could someday pick our heads up from looking at the line in the sand and look around at those of us who live here and see that there is a greater need of citizens in this state who are suffering tremendous hardship by the hands of our state government, not by the hands of "illegal immigrants". Unjustly burdening families of the disabled is something cooked up by our state legislature.
I've heard different percentages thrown around, and while Governor Brewer wants to focus on the 20% of crimes allegedly committed by "illegal immigrants" she neglects to mention what she plans on doing about the OTHER 80%. Oh, I know, lets cut funding to after school programs for at risk youth so the number of crimes committed by citizens increases, and then it can look like we are taking care of the "illegal immigrant" problem. Good plan.
Let's face it, if someone broke into your home and stole your possessions, or assaulted you, would there be less damage if the person was a US citizen? Would you feel better or be less traumatized? Probably not. I know that there is a lot of drugs crossing the border, I do not debate that is a problem, but it would be a problem regardless, in my opinion, the bigger problem is the citizens that are giving them the business, if there was no profit in it, they wouldn't be doing it.
I apologize for the rambling, I just get frustrated, I just feel that a child's education, ability to eat, talk or walk should be more important than chasing people looking to work as well as provide a better life for their families across the desert.